Saturday, July 17, 2010

Discouragement to Determination

So I was going to do a post earlier today, but never got around to it. I had something written and everything.  After writing it, I decided I didn't want to post it and that it just felt good for me to write it all down.  Like Dori from Finding Nemo, I thought, "Whew. Glad I got that off my chest!" So that was that and I felt a little embarrassed to post. Like I would be writing a poor me, pitty party, sob story.  But just before going to bed tonight, I went to one of my most favorite websites, lds.org and watched the following video [check below] and I knew I had to post tonight. 
Besides, its been over two weeks since my last post so I figured it was time.

I have been feeling quite discouraged today. And this past week.  Have you ever felt like you just want and need a break from life? Just need to get away and forget everything that is surrounding you for a while? Boy, let me tell you. I have sure felt that lately.  I feel like such a rotten person for saying that too.  Because I mean, I love life.  I really do.  And I really have nothing worth complaining about.  I am doing things in my life now that I have always wanted to do.  I volunteer at the hospital every Saturday; by the end of this summer I will finally have all the credits I need to get an Associate's degree from MCC (woohoo!); I am in a Respiratory Care program at Gateway, getting a head start on my future career; I have a great, steady, part-time job; I live at home, just me and my parents (though I can't say that is something I have dreamed about :) I am in a great singles ward with amazing people; I have a calling that humbles me every Sunday; I have a family who loves me, friends who care. I am so blessed. So so so blessed.

All too often, though, I let little things get to me. I get so annoyed and fed up that I find myself getting cheated out on greater happiness that is right there in front of me.  When I get in these discouraged moods I find myself asking, "Why did this have to happen to me? Again?! This is so stupid!" I throw myself a tiny pitty party, trying to cut it short though.  (Who ever feels good in those kind of parties anyway?)  Then I am reminded of the most important things in life.  I take a look at all of my blessings and remind myself of all that I have in store for me and all that I have going for me.  I have so much to accomplish in this life.  If I stay feeling bogged down now, then there is no way I will be able to move forward.  I know where I came from, who I came from, why I am here, and where I am going.

I am determined.

Now, check out this video.  You won't be disappointed I assure you.  It is just what I needed to be reminded of this week.  I hope you get something out of it as well!


8 comments:

  1. So I pretty much feel like dirt because i didnt know you had a blog! Every time you comment I thought you just had a user name. I am so sorry!!!!! Please forgive me? Anywho, wow girl I admire you. So much. I truly believe that how we look at life is all in our perception. Yes things may be hard, sad, tiring, but if we look at it in that way then it will be. Our view on life must be always looking for the good and the things we know we want to see. I know you do just that. I look up to you in so many ways. You are a prime example of a christ like person. I know there is big things in store for you and I am lucky to be so close to you to see you experience them. I know you are celestial and are something truly amazin. I am so lucky to be family. Never ever doubt how great you are. Stay positive and keep being you. YOU are big time and there is no stoppin you! I love you so much Jor!!! Keep goin strong!! Ps- Lunch soon?!?!?!?!!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jori I love this video. Thank you for sharing it. You are a wonderful girl. Truly a daughter of our Heavenly Father. Times can be difficult. Just hang in there. I love Pres. Uchtdorf. I think he is truly a man of God. Love you tons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so cute :) I love that video! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jori I loved the video. You really are such a special girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jori, ever since having seminary with you, I have always looked up to you. This post illustrates why. You are such a fantastic person, thanks for sharing that via your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jori, I love this blog! What a great post. I'm so happy to read this and see the video- I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. out of the mouth of babes, Jori I love you and I am proud of all that you do. The lord does have many amazing things for you to accomplish. I love you to the moon and back and beyond the universe. mama

    ReplyDelete